The car that is now known as D-39, which has a long and varied career, began its life in 1908 as PRT ash car 2621. It was constructed at Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company’s 6th Street (Kensington) Shops and was used to haul ashes from PRT’s power houses to several dumps located within the city. It was also used to haul garbage under a contract PRT signed with the City of Philadelphia in 1908. Upon the cancellation of the rubbish contract in 1915, PRT had a surplus of ash cars.
We see D-39 running in one of the few places left in the United States where streetcars continue to actually run...in the street! Photo by Peter Farrell, April 6, 2003, near Clifton-Aldan, Rte. 102 Sharon Hill Line, suburban Philadelphia, PA.